Tuesday 15 December 2015

CAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!



It was asked of me to make a Malteaser Cake for our work Christmas party.
The cake they wanted me to make was basically a chocolate cake covered in Nutella, covered in crushed Malteasers, a chocolate Bavarian on top, more crushed and whole Malteasers, and then melted chocolate drizzled over the deliciously messy concoction.
I might have changed the recipe a bit.
And by "a bit" I might mean "almost completely".

I made a Chocolate Fudge Cake from:

Add A Pinch

It goes something like this:

THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE {EVER}
PREP TIME
COOK TIME
TOTAL TIME
Chocolate Cake with decadent chocolate frosting that will quickly become your favourite!
Author: 
Cuisine: Dessert
Serves: 12
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour  (Plain Flour For the Aussies)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1½ teaspoons baking soda (Bi-Carb Soda)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder
  • 1 cup milk
  • ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water

  • INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring. 
  2. For the cake:
  3. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
  4. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
  5. Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
  6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
NOTES
The cake batter will be very thin after adding the boiling water. This is correct and results in the most delicious and moist chocolate cake I've ever tasted! 


......................................................................



I put my oven to about 160º-180º C
I added more cocoa than the recipe asked for. I like cocoa. The more, the better. All the cocoa!!
I might have also missed the instructions that said TWO cake pans. I made oneBBIG one. I put the batter into a 23cm deep pan. It was going to be only one layer to the cake, but you'd think I'd actually READ. Nope.
I did need to keep the cake in the oven longer than the 30 minute cook time, probably about 45/50 minutes in total.
It made an awesome, moist and super yummy chocolate cake. Mmmmm moist. Such a squishy word.
MmmmmmMMoist!


Okay, moving on.
While I did add the layer of Nutella, I didn't put in the layer of crushed Malteasers or the Bavarian on top.
I made a vanilla cake to sit on top of the epic chocolate cake and Nutella layer.


Recipe Picture:Simple Vanilla Cake

I got the vanilla cake recipe from:

And this one goes a little like this:





Ingredients 
1 cup white sugar
125g butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk

  • Directions
  • Preparation:20min  › Cook:30min  › Ready in:50min
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a 23cm x 23cm cake pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla essence.
  3. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until mixture is smooth. Pour or spoon into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.


......................................................................



I might have actually read and followed the instructions for this one. Most of them anyway.
I did use caster sugar, mostly. I ran out and had to use raw sugar for the final 1/3 of a cup.
I used Vanilla Extract instead of Essence. And I might have not really measured it out. I tasted and added extra as needed.

The vanilla cake batter was super dense and oh so heavy compared to the Chocolate Cake, but still made a fabulously moist cake when it came out of the oven.

Part of me just wanted to eat them then and there. But I have self control.
Did my nose just grow?
Shut up! I totally have self control!




Okay, time has passed, both the cakes have cooled and I have trimmed the top of the fabulous chocolate cake.
Next, I cracked open the Nutella. I resisted the temptation and didn't eat it. I had been snacking on the chocolate cake trimmings so I was able to be strong.
I lathered the chocolate cake with the Nutella and placed the vanilla cake on top.
Mmmm Top Deck Cake.

Then came the icing.
I didn't really follow any recipe and I realised rather late that I didn't actually have icing sugar in the house. I managed to find some icing mixture, so I used that.
I am not sure of the exact difference between Icing Sugar and Icing Mixture, so I just pretended it was icing sugar.

I poured an indeterminate amount into the mixing bowl and added some room temperature butter to it. After mixing it in, I added a little milk. And then I added a heap of cocoa powder.

ALL THE COCOA!!!

Sorry, I'm calm now.

After several tastings, all totally necessary I assure you, I blobbed the icing onto the cake-tower.
Well, It wasn't totally a tower. Maybe If I had added another layer It would have been more tower-like.
Oooh, definitely something to think about for next time.

With twenty-twenty hindsight, I realise that I probably should have been taking photos.
Dang it!

Okay, we are nearing the end of the cake-journey!

I thought I would save some time with the crushing of the Malteasers and out them in my magic bullet (No, it isn't some sort of sexy toy, you dirty minded person). It might have almost vaporised them. They were very close to Malteaser Powder.
I covered the cake in whole Malteasers and sprinkled the powdered Malteasers over it.
Lastly, we have the cherry on the top. Not the literal cherry, I didn't have any of those.
I melted some Cadbury dark chocolate melts and drizzled it over the cake/monstrosity/thing. More Malteaser powder and whole Malteasers later, the cake is finished!







The finished product was insanely dense and rich and moist ... Mmmmmmoist ... and no one was able to actually finish a piece in one sitting.

The verdict:

Chocolate coma

Would recommend you make it when you want to impress people with an insanely rich and delicious slab of Mmmmmoistness.

No comments:

Post a Comment